Monday, May 17, 2010

Altitude Sickness

As soon as we arrived in Cusco the altitude sickness started to set in. We tried to ignore it to start with but it was eventually so debilitating that we took to our bed. I remained there for three days. I seemed to get it worse than Ray or may be I'm just a bit more pathetic.

After about three to four days of splitting headaches, nausea, vomiting, heart pulpitations, shortness of breath and generally feeling like you want to die, we are starting to come good.

Lots of coca tea, which they tell me works, but I havent noticed any difference.
Coca tea is made from the same leaves as cocaine. Still havent noticed any difference.

Although we are feeling better now, a week later, we still sometimes have problems breathing. For no reason at all we get shortness of breath even lying down in bed at night it can come on you. Of course walking uphill or exerting yourself can bring it on as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment